* Co-first authors / equal contribution; underline indicates trainee from Lalonde MCN Lab.
28. Hewitt T*, Alural B*, Tilak M, Wang J, Becke N, Chartley E, Perreault M, Haggarty SJ, Sheridan SD, Perlis, RH, Jones N, Mellios N, Lalonde J. (2023) Bipolar disorder-iPSC derived neural progenitor cells exhibit dysregulation of store-operated calcium entry and accelerated differentiation (2023) Molecular Psychiatry doi: 10.1038/s41380-023-02152-6. Online ahead of print.27. Parmentier T, LaMarre J, Lalonde J. Evaluation of neurotoxicity with human pluripotent stem cell-derived cerebral organoids. (2023) Current Protocols in Toxicology 3:e744. DOI: 10.1002/cpz1.744.
26. Holborn J*, Walczyk-Mooradally A*, Perrin C, Alural B, Aitchison C, Borenstein A, Jones N, Khokhar J, Akhtar T, Lalonde J. Interference of neuronal TrkB signaling by the cannabis-derived flavonoids cannflavins A and B. (2023) Phytomedicine Plus 3:100410.
25. Parmentier T, James FMK, Hewitson E, Bailey CDC, Werry N, Sheridan SD, Perlis RH, Perreault M, Gaitero L, Lalonde J, LaMarre J. Human cerebral spheroids undergo activity dependent changes in cellular composition and microRNA expression. (2022) Scientific Reports 12:9143.
24. Hafez AK, Zimmerman AJ, Papageorgiou G, Chandrasekaran J, Amoah SK, Lin R, Lozano E, Pierotti C, Dell'Orco M, Hartley BJ, Alural B, Lalonde J, Esposito JM, Berretta S, Squassina A, Chillotti C, Voloudakis G, Shao Z, Fullard JF, Brennand KJ, Turecki G, Roussos P, Perlis RH, Haggarty SJ, Perrone-Bizzozero N, Brigman JL, Mellios N. A bidirectional competitive interaction between circHomer1 and Homer1b within the orbitofrontal cortex regulates reversal learning. (2022) Cell Reports 38:110282.
23. Walczyk-Mooradally A, Holborn J, Singh K, Tyler M, Patnaik D, Wesseling H, Brandon NJ, Steen J, Graether S, Haggarty SJ, Lalonde J. Phosphorylation-dependent control of Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) protein by TNIK. (2021) Journal of Neurochemistry 158:1058-1073.
22. Thériault, RK*, St-Denis M*, Hewitt T, Khokhar JY, Lalonde J, Perreault ML. Sex-specific cannabidiol- and iloperidone-induced neuronal activity changes in an in vitro MAM model system of schizophrenia. (2021) International Journal of Molecular Sciences 22:5511.
21. Sheppard PAS, Asling HA, Walczyk-Mooradally A, Armstrong SE, Elad VM, Lalonde J, Choleris E. Protein synthesis and actin polymerization in the rapid effects of 17b-estradiol on social memory and dendritic spine dynamics in female mice. (2021) Psychoneuroendocrinology 128:105232.
20. Tilak M, Holborn J, New LA, Lalonde J, Jones N. Receptor tyrosine kinase signaling and targeting in glioblastoma multiforme. (2021) International Journal of Molecular Sciences 22:1831.
19. Tilak M, Alural B, Wismer SE, Brasher MI, New LA, Sheridan SD, Perlis RH, Coppolino MG, Lalonde J, Jones N. Adaptor protein ShcD/SHC4 interacts with Tie2 receptor to synergistically promote glioma cell invasion. (2021) Molecular Cancer Research 19:757-770.
18. Zhao WN, Tobe BTD, Udeshi ND, Xuan LL, Pernia CD, Zolg DP, Roberts AJ, Mani D, Blumenthal SR, Kurtser I, Patnaik D, Gaisina I, Bishop J, Sheridan SD, Lalonde J, Carr SA, Snyder EY, Haggarty SJ. Discovery of suppressors of CRMP2 phosphorylation reveals compounds that mimic the behavioral effects of lithium on amphetamine-induced hyperlocomotion. (2020) Translational Psychiatry 10:76.
17. Zimmerman AJ, Hafez AK, Amoah SK, Rodriguez BA, Dell’Orco M, Lozano E, Hartley BJ, Alural B, Lalonde J, Chander P, Webster MJ, Perlis RH, Brennand KJ, Haggarty SJ, Weick JP, Perrone-Bizzozero N, Brigman JL, Mellios N. A psychiatric disease-related circular RNA controls synaptic gene expression and cognition. (2020) Molecular Psychiatry 25:2712-2727.
16. Robeson HN, Lau HR, New LA, Lalonde J, Armstrong JN, Jones N. Localization of phosphotyrosine adaptor protein ShcD/SHC4 in the adult rat central nervous system. (2019) BMC Neuroscience 20:57.
15. Jagtap S, Thanos, J, Fu T, Wang J, Lalonde J, Dial T, Feiglin A, Chen J, Kohane I, Lee J, Sheridan SD, Perlis RH.Abnormal mitochondrial bioenergetics in neural cells from CDKL5 deficiency disorder. (2019) Human Molecular Genetics 28:3625-3636.
14. Zhao WN, Ghosh B, Tyler M, Lalonde J, Joseph NF, Kosaric N, Fass DM, Tsai LH, Mazitschek R, Haggarty SJ. Class I histone deacetylase inhibition by Tianeptinaline modulates neuroplasticity and enhances memory. (2018) ACS Chemical Neuroscience 9:2262-2273.
13. Lalonde J, Reis SA, Sivakumaran S, Holland CS, Wesseling H, Sauld J, Alural B, Zhao WN, Steen J, Haggarty SJ. Chemogenomic analysis reveals key role for lysine acetylation in regulating Arc protein stability. (2017) Nature Communications 8:1659.
12. Iaconelli J*, Lalonde J*, Watmuff B, Liu B, Mazitschek, Haggarty SJ, Karmacharya R. Histone deacetylase inhibitors modulate AKT activity in human iPSC-derived neuronal cells. (2017) ACS Chemical Biology 12:2139-2148.
11. Tobe BTD, Crain AM, Winquist AM, Calabrese B, Makihara H, Zhao WN, Lalonde J, Nakamura H, Konopaske G, Sidor M, Pernia C, Yamashita N, Wada M, Inoue Y, Nakamura F, Sheridan SD, Logan R, Brandel M, Wu D, Hunsberger J, Dorsett L, Duerr C, Basa RCB, McCarthy M, Udeshi N, Mertins P, Carr SA, Rouleau G, Mastrangelo L, Li J, Gutierrez GJ, Brill LM, Venizelos N, Chen G, Nye JS, Manji H, Price J, McClung C, Akiskal HS, Alda M, Chuang DMM, Coyle J, Liu Y, Teng YD, Ohshima T, Mikoshiba K, Sidman RL, Halpain S, Haggarty SJ, Goshima Y, Snyder EY. Lithium-response pathway in hiPSCs implicates the phosphoregulatory set-point for a cytoskeletal modulator in bipolar pathogenesis. (2017) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114:E4462-E4471.
10. Bavamian S*, Mellios N*, Lalonde J*, Wang J, Sheridan SD, Madison JM, Zhou F, Fass D, Rueckert EH, Barker D, Perlis RH, Sur M, Haggarty SJ. (2015) Noncoding RNAs connect genetic risk factors to the neurodevelopmental basis of bipolar disorder. Molecular Psychiatry 20:538.
9. Bavamian S*, Mellios N*, Lalonde J*, Wang J, Sheridan SD, Madison JM, Zhou F, Fass D, Rueckert EH, Barker D, Perlis RH, Sur M, Haggarty SJ. (2015) Dysregulation of miR-34a links neuronal development to genetic risk factors for bipolar disorder. Molecular Psychiatry 20:573-584.
8. Lalonde J, Saia G, Gill G. (2014) Store-operated calcium entry promotes the degradation of transcription factor Sp4 in resting neurons. Science Signaling 7(328):ra51.doi:10.1126/scisignal.2005242. Featured in: Neuronal STIMulation at rest. Science Signaling 7(335):pe18. doi:10.1126/scisignal.2005556.
7. Saia G, Lalonde J, Sun X, Ramos B, Gill G. (2014) Phosphorylation of transcription factor Sp4 is reduced by NMDA receptor signaling. Journal of Neurochemistry 129:743-752.
6. Pinacho R, Villalmanzo N, Lalonde J, Haro JM, Meana JJ, Gill G, Ramos B. (2011) The transcription factor SP4 is reduced in postmortem cerebellum of bipolar disorder subjects: Control by depolarization and lithium. Bipolar Disorders 13:474-485.
5. Lalonde J, Lachance PED, Chaudhuri A. (2009) Developmental and activity-dependent genomic occupancy profiles of CREB in monkey area V1. Genes, Brain and Behavior 8:149-160.
4. Lalonde J, Chaudhuri A. (2007) Dynamic changes in CREB phosphorylation and neuroadaptive gene expression in area V1 of adult monkeys after monocular enucleation. Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience 35:24-37.
3. Nemmani KV, Lalonde J, Mogil JS. (2005) Region-specific changes of CaMKIV in the mouse brain following chronic morphine treatment. NeuroReport 16:879-882.
2. Lalonde J, Lachance P, Chaudhuri A. (2004) Monocular enucleation induces nuclear localization of CaMKIV in cortical interneurons of adult monkey area V1. The Journal of Neuroscience 24:554-564.
1. Lalonde J, Chaudhuri A. (2002) Task-dependent transfer of perceptual to memory representations during delayed spatial frequency discrimination. Vision Research 42:1759-1769.
Background: Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) plays a pivotal role in many aspects of neuroplasticity. To better understand how posttranslational modifications (PTMs) can influence Arc, we used mass spectrometry to search for novel phosphorylation sites that may confer functional specificity. This strategy helped recognize, serine 67 and threonine 278, as candidate sites of action for Traf2- and Nck-interacting kinase (Tnik). We present biochemical, proteomic, and electron microscopy evidence that support the influence of Tnik on Arc neurobiology by modifying its nuclear trafficking or oligomerization as virus-like capsids. These findings suggest new ways about how phosphorylation can shape the temporal and spatial regulation of Arc within neurons.
Image content: Negative electron microscopy image shows bacterially expressed Arc protein forming virus-like double layered capsids.
Read the full article ‘Phosphorylation-dependent control of Activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (Arc) protein by TNIK’ by A. Walczyk-Mooradally, J. Holborn, K. Singh, M. Tyler, D. Patnaik, H. Wesseling, N. J. Brandon, J. Steen, S. P. Graether, S. J. Haggarty and J. Lalonde (J. Neurochem. 2021, vol. 158 (5), pp. 1058–1073) on doi:10.1111/jnc.15440
Under Review / Preprint / In Press
* Co-first authors / equal contribution; underline indicates trainee from Lalonde MCN Lab.
1. Robeson HN, New LA, Alural B, Ervin KSJ, Cooper CJ, Lalonde J, Choleris E, Jones J. Deletion of adaptor protein ShcD impairs olfactory bulb morphology and function.